James Whiteside Leeming and Therese Pfyffer d’Altishofen marriage June 1911

Page 31, 24th June 1911

The marriage arranged between James Whiteside Leeming, J.P., co. Lane., fourth son of the late Richard Leeming, J.P., of Greaves House, Lancaster, and Therese, eldest daughter of the late Baron Frederic Pfyffer d’Altishofen, of Lucerne, Switzerland, will take place very quietly in London on July 3, owing to the recent death of a sister of the bridegroom. [Helena Leeming, who died probably earl

Page 52, 2nd December 1933

The engagement is announced between Gerard, eldest son of Mr. and Mrs. J. W. Leeming, of Skirsgill Park, Penrith, and Joan, daughter of the late Mr. Edmund Neville Trappes-Lomax, and granddaughter of the late Mrs. Trappes-Lomax, of Clayton Hall.

Providence Row Annual report 1931

The Tablet Page 22, 2nd May 1931

The valuable link between the Home and the Corporation of the City of London may be noted from an examination of the charity’s list of officers in the annual report. Sir John Knill, treasurer and a trustee, was Lord Mayor of London, 1909-10; Sir Henry T. McAuliffe, a trustee, has served for many years upon the Common Council and is Deputy-Alderman for Bishopsgate; Sir Harold Downer, a member of Committee, was Sheriff in 1924 before his election last year as Alderman for Coleman Street Ward. Similarly, an extensive “second generation” of workers for Monsignor Gilbert’s institution will be recognized. Sir John Knill’s offices were formerly held by his father, the late Sir Stuart Knill, London’s first post-Reformation Catholic Lord Mayor; as mentioned above, Captain W. W. Parker, son of the late Sir Henry Watson Parker, a well-known City lawyer, fills the chair of the Committee, as did his father-in-law, the late Mr. Alfred Purssell, a former member of the Corporation and the great personal friend of the Founder ; Mr. George Bellord has succeeded his father, the late Mr. Edmund Bellord, thirty four years a member of Committee and twenty-six years its chairman ; Mr. Joseph Towsey joined the Committee upon the death of his father, the late Mr. William Towsey, an original member with a record service extending from 1860 to 1926; Mr. J. Arthur Walton is the son of the late Hon. Mr. Justice Walton, a trustee for many years. Finally, Sir John Gilbert, a nephew of the Founder, will this year complete thirty-five years’ work as Secretary.

William Henry Burke d 1870

The London Gazette, December 9, 1870

WILLIAM HENRY BURKE Esq Deceased

Pursuant to the Act of Parliament of the 22nd and 23rd Vic cap 35 intituled An Act to further amend the Law of Property and to relieve Trustees

NOTICE is hereby given that all persons having any  claim, debt, or demand against or upon the estate of William Henry Burke late of No 32 Thistle grove South Kensington in the county of Middlesex Esq (who died on the 17th day of July 1870 and whose will with a codicil thereto was proved in the Principal Registry of Her Majesty’s Court of Probate on the 3rd day of December 1870 by Harriet Matilda Burke of No 32 Thistle grove South Kensington aforesaid Spinster George William Wood of No 4 Sambrook court Basinghall street in the city of London Accountant and Basil William O Bryen of No 28 Thistle grove South Kensington aforesaid Accountant )are hereby required to send in the particulars of their claims debts or demands to the said George William Wood one of the said executors at his office No 4 Sambrook court Basinghall street in the city of London on or before the 1st day of February 1871 after which day the said executors will proceed to the assets of the deceased among the parties entitled thereto having regard only to the claims debts or demands of which they shall then have had notice and the said executors will not be liable for any part of such assets to any person or persons of whose claim debt or demand they shall not then have had notice Dated this 7th day of December 1870.

WILLIAM GILLS Solicitor, No. 26, Old Broad –street, E.C.

http://tinyurl.com/nnxl7of

The London and China Telegraph  [Feb 6,1871]

O’Bryen- Burke

On the 1st Feb at the Pro Cathedra,l Kensington, by His Grace Archbishop Manning, assisted by the Rev Fathers Foley and Conolly,  Basil,second surviving son of the late John Roche O Bryen Esq MD to Harriet Matilda,youngest daughter of the late William Henry Burke. Both of Thistle Grove South Kensington. No cards

http://tinyurl.com/nh6vnve

The Medical Press and Circular Advertiser  Feb 8 1871

O’Bryen- Burke

On the 1st Feb at the Pro Cathedra,l Kensington, by His Grace Archbishop Manning, assisted by the Rev Fathers Foley and Conolly,  Basil,second surviving son of the late John Roche O Bryen Esq MD to Harriet Matilda,youngest daughter of the late William Henry Burke. Both of Thistle Grove South Kensington. No cards

http://tinyurl.com/nvxhpnq

The Illustrated London News, Volume 58 Jan 14 1871

The will of William Henry Burke Esq of Thistle grove South Kensington was proved in London on the 3rd ult under £ 18,000 personalty by Miss Harriett Matilda Burke his daughter George William Wood and Basil William O Bryen the joint acting executors To Mr Wood he leaves £100 and to Mr O Bryen £50. The will is dated May 6 1870, and a codicil June 16 following, and the testator died July 17 last at Queenstown, Cork in Ireland.  He bequeaths to his son William Henry Burke, his six Spanish Bonds nominal value stated at £ 3060 and his Italian Coupons £ 3010; these bequests are beyond any other provision made for him. The testator confirms the provision and settlement for his two daughters and daughter in law, the wife of his son William H Burke. He leaves to his daughter Harriett,  the sum of £ 500 which she is to give to such charitable objects as she might think proper, and appoints her residuary legatee of both his real and personal estate.

http://tinyurl.com/q5luc7c

The will of William Henry Burke – 1871

The Illustrated London News Jan 14 1871

The will of William Henry Burke Esq, of Thistle grove, South Kensington, was proved in London on the 3rd ult under £18,000 personalty by Miss Harriett Matilda Burke, his daughter, George William Wood, and Basil William O’Bryen, the joint acting executors.

To Mr Wood, he leaves £100, and to Mr O Bryen, £50. The will is dated May 6 1870, and a codicil June 16 following ,and the testator died July 17 last, at Queenstown, Cork in Ireland.  He bequeaths to his son William Henry Burke, his six Spanish Bonds nominal value stated at £3060, and his Italian Coupons £3010, these bequests are beyond any other provision made for him. The testator confirms the provision and settlement for his two daughters, and daughter in law, the wife of his son William H Burke. He leaves to his daughter Harriett, the sum of £500, which she is to give to such charitable objects as she might think proper, and appoints her residuary legatee of both his real and personal estate.

William B. Smith b.1874


SMITH, William Bernard Stanislaus, J.P., Barrister-at-Law,
Member, Local Tribunal.
Newsham House, Broughton, near Preston. Born : 1874, at Lancaster ;
only son of William Smith, of Newsham House (M.P., North Lonsdale, 1892-
1895), and his wife, Ellen, daughter of Henry Verity. Educated : Ampleforth
College, near York, and Lincoln College, Oxford. Married : 1902, to Florence
Clara Ruby Jay, daughter of William Jay, and has issue one son and four
daughters. Profession: Barrister-at-Law, Inner Temple. Appointments:
J.P. for the County of Lancaster, 1915 ; Hon. Secretary, Broughton and Dis-
trict Rifle Club, and Boy Scouts’ Association ; Member of No. 5 Local Area
Education Committee ; Commandant of Local Special Constables; Member
of Local Tribunal for Preston Rural District Area. Publications : Editor,
The Week’s Survey, 1902-1903 ; Editor, Canadian Lije and Resources (Montreal),
1905-1907. Clubs: County, Lancaster; Preston and County Catholic,
Preston.

http://www.mocavo.co.uk/Lancashire-Biographies-Rolls-of-Honour/534170/438#437

Sir George Sherston Baker b. 1846

BAKER, [His Honour Judge] Sir George
Sherston, Bart. — Cr. 1793.


Eldest son of Henry Sherston Baker, Esq., who d. 1875, by Maria Martha, who d.1897, dau. of the late John Burke, Esq. (The Mac-Walter);

b. 1846 ; s. his cousin the Rev. Sir Henry Williams Baker 3rd Bart., 1877; m. 1st 1873 Jane Mary, who d. 1909, younger dau. of the late Frederick James Fegen, Esq.. R.N., CB., of Ballinlonty, Co. Tipperary; 2ndly 1912 Mary Josephine, younger dau. of the late Henry Bacchus, Esq., of Lillington Manor, Warwickshire, and Cote House, Staffordshire.

Sir George Baker, who was called to the Bar at Lincoln’s Inn 1871, and ad eundem at th Middle Temple 1874, is a Magistrate for Lincolnshire, Barnstaple, Bideford, Great Grimsby, Boston, and City of Lincoln ; was Recorder of Helston 1886-9, and
Editor of the ‘Law Magazine and Review’ 1895-8 elected Associate of the Institut du Droit International 1879, and appointed Recorder of Barnstaple and of Bideford 1889, and County Court Judge of Circuit No. 17, 1901. — Castle Moat House, Lincoln ; Devonshire Club, s.w.

Heir, his son Dodington George Richard Sherston, M.E.O.S. L.R.C.P. : Major Indian Medical Service ; b. 1877 ; m. 1901 Irene Mary Roper, youngest dau. of Sir John Roper Parkington, and has, with other issue, a son, Humphrey Codington Benedict Sherston, b. 1907.

Roche estates

  • Roche (Trabolgan) – The Roches were established at Trabolgan, Whitegate, county Cork, from the mid 17th century. In 1703 Edmund Roche of Trabolgan purchased over 2,500 acres in the barony of Barrymore, forfeited by Walter Coppinger and his son James. In 1672 Edward Roche married Catherine Lavallin of Walterstown, county Cork, and they had four sons. The eldest, Francis, died unmarried in 1755 and all the Roche estate was eventually inherited by his grandnephew, Edward Roche of Kildinan. In 1805 Edward Roche married Margaret Honoria Curtin, a relative of Edmund Burke. Their son, Edmund Burke Roche, was created Baron Fermoy in 1856. The main part of the Roche estate was in the parish of Rathcormack, barony of Barrymore, but some of it was located in the parishes of Kilshannig, barony of Duhallow, Ardnageehy, Gortroe, Ballycurrany, Dunbulloge, Lisgoold and Templebodan, barony of Barrymore, Aghada, Garryvoe and Trabolgan, barony of Imokilly and Whitechurch, barony of Cork. Edmund B. Roche was among the principal lessors in the parish of Ringagonagh, barony of Decies-within-Drum, county Waterford in 1851. In 1877 the 2nd Baron Fermoy married the Honourable Cecilia O’Grady of Rockbarton, daughter of the 3rd Viscount Guillamore. In the mid 1870s she is recorded as the owner of 4,977 acres in county Limerick. At the same time Lord Fermoy of Trabolgan is recorded as owning 15,543 acres in county Cork and 744 acres in county Waterford. In November 1880 the Kildinan estate in the barony of Barrymore, the lands of Glashybeg, barony of Duhallow and Balinvarrig, barony of Cork, were advertised for sale with the lands of Gurtnadidhy and Ballincourty, barony of Decies within Drum, county Waterford. The total acreage amounted to 8,178 acres.
  • O’Grady (Cahir Guillamore) – Descended from a younger son of the O’Gradys of Kilballyowen, county Limerick, Standish O’Grady, son of Darby O’Grady of Mount Prospect, was created Viscount Guillamore in 1831. The O’Gradys acquired Cahir by the marriage of the 1st Viscount’s grandfather, Standish O’Grady, to Honora, daughter and co heir of Jeremiah Hayes of Cahir. The Guillamore estate was in the parishes of Fedamore and Glenogra, barony of Smallcounty, Tullabracky, barony of Coshma and Abbeyfeale, Clonelty, Grange and Mahoonagh, barony of Glenquin, county Limerick and Drumtarriff, barony of Duhallow, county Cork, at the time of Griffith’s Valuation. Lady Guillamore held land in the parish of Askeaton, barony of Connello Lower. In the 1870s the 4th Viscount owned 3,750 acres in county Limerick and 1096 acres in county Cork, while his niece, Honourable Cecilia O’Grady of Rockbarton, only surviving child of the 3rd Viscount, owned 4,977 acres. She married Lord Fermoy in 1877.
  • Roche (Rochemount) – This branch of the Roche family of county Cork was descended from Edmond, second son of Edward Roche of Trabolgan and his wife, Catherine Lavallin. Edmond, by his wife Barbara Hennessy, had two sons, the eldest, Edmond of Kildinan was grandfather of the 1st Baron Fermoy. In 1796 Edmond’s second son, Francis of Rochemount, married Esther Webb and they had two sons, Francis James and John Webb of Rochemount. At the time of Griffith’s Valuation John W. Roche held land in the parishes Monanimy, barony of Fermoy, Templeusque, barony of Barrymore, Cloyne, Titeskin and Corkbeg, barony of Imokilly. In July 1853 the estate of John Webb Roche at Ballindinisk and Pouladown, over 800 acres in the barony of Barrymore, was advertised for sale. In April 1856 his estate in the baronies of Fermoy and Imokilly was advertised for sale. This estate amounted to 3265 acres in total. The original lease of Cloughbolly or Nagle’s Mountain in the barony of Fermoy was from Hugh Millerd to Francis Roche in 1775. The lands in the barony of Imokilly were held on a lease from Edward Roche to Francis Roche dated 1770. The Freeman’s Journal reported that two lots were purchased by Mr. Smith and a third, in trust, by Mr. Kilt. Rochemount itself was again advertised for sale in July 1857.
  • Clarke (Farran) – William Clarke, a tobacco merchant of Cork, bought Farran House, parish of Aglish, barony of East Muskerry and a large estate in 1868. His company, William Clarke and Sons, became one of the largest tobacco producing companies in the British Isles. In the 1870s William Clarke of Farran owned 5,679 acres in county Cork. Thomas Clarke held 1,058 acres of untenanted land at Farran in 1906. Aghamarta Castle and Nadrid House belonged to members of this family in the 20th century. see http://www.farranhouse.com/history.htm
  • Roche (Aghada) – The estate of James Joseph Roche at Aghada, barony of Barrymore, county Cork, came into the possession of John Roche, who left it to his nephew William Roche. Part of the lands of Aghada were advertised for sale in July 1853, the estate of James and William Roche, continued in the names of Mary and Eleanor Roche. This estate later came into the possession of the Thackwell family who were related to the Roche family of Trabolgan. In the 1870s Major Joseph Edward Lucas Thackwell of Aghada House, Whitegate, owned 873 acres in county Cork and 280 acres in county Waterford. See also “The Irish Jurist”, Vol I Miscellaneous (1849), page 157, re the will of John Roche.
  • Thackwell – The former Roche estate at Aghada came into the possession of the Thackwell family in the second half of the 19th century. The Thackwells were related to the Roche family of Trabolgan. In the 1870s Major Joseph Edward Lucas Thackwell of Aghada House, Whitegate, owned 873 acres in county Cork and 280 acres in county Waterford. Lady Thackwell is recorded as the owner of over 450 acres in Waterford at the same time.
  • Barry (Dunbulloge) – The fee simple estate of Mary Theresa Barry amounting to 4,993 acres mainly in the parish of Dunbulloge, barony of Barrymore, county Cork, was advertised for sale in July 1870. Most of the tenants of the estate held on leases from Lord Fermoy dated 1857-1862 although the estate appears to have been in the possession of Lord Midleton at the time of Griffith’s Valuation. The wife of St Leger Barry of Ballyclough was named Mary Caroline Theresa (Carr) but according to Burke’s ”Landed Gentry of Ireland” he did not marry her until 1883.
  • Roche (Kinsalebeg) – In the 1870s, George Roche held 140 acres in county Waterford as well as joint ownership of over 470 acres in county Cork. This family were descended from Sir John Roch of Tourin and a branch of the Roch family, Lords Fermoy.

JAMES ROCHE 1770–1853 DNB

ROCHE, JAMES (1770–1853), styled by Father Prout ‘the Roscoe of Cork,’ was the son of Stephen Roche, and a descendant of John Roche of Castle Roche, a delegate at the federation of Kilkenny in 1641. His mother, Sarah, was daughter of John O’Brien of Moyvanine and Clounties, Limerick.

Born at Cork, 30 Dec. 1770, he was sent at fifteen years of age to the college of Saintes, near Angoulême, where he spent two years. After a short visit home he returned to France and became partner with his brother George, a wine merchant at Bordeaux. There he made the acquaintance of Vergniaud and Guillotin. He shared in the enthusiasm for the revolution, and paid frequent visits to Paris, associating with the leading Girondins. While in Paris in 1793 he was arrested under the decree for the detention of British subjects, and spent six months in prison. He believed himself to have been in imminent danger of inclusion in the monster Luxembourg batch of victims, and attributed his escape to Brune, afterwards one of Napoleon’s marshals. On his release he returned to the south of France, endeavouring to recover his confiscated property. In 1797 he quitted France, living alternately at London and Cork.

In 1800, with his brother Stephen, he established a bank at Cork, which flourished until the monetary crisis of 1819, when it suspended payment. Roche’s valuable library was sold in London, the creditors having invited him to select and retain the books that he most prized. He spent the next seven years in London as commercial and parliamentary agent for the counties of Cork, Youghal, and Limerick. Retiring from business with a competency, he resided from 1829 to 1832 in Paris. The remainder of his life was passed at Cork as local director of the National Bank of Ireland, a post which allowed him leisure for the indulgence of his literary tastes. He was well read in the ancient and the principal modern languages, and his historical knowledge enabled him to assist inquirers on obscure and debatable points, and to detect and expose errors. He contributed largely, mostly under his initials, to the ‘Gentleman’s Magazine,’ ‘Notes and Queries,’ the ‘Dublin Review,’ and the ‘Cork Magazine.’ In 1851, under the title of ‘Critical and Miscellaneous Essays, by an Octogenarian,’ he reprinted for private circulation about forty of these articles. He also took an active part in literary, philanthropic, and mercantile movements in Cork. He died there, 1 April 1853, leaving two daughters by his wife Anne, daughter of John Moylan of Cork.

[Gent. Mag. June and July 1853; Athenæum, 5 April 1853; Notes and Queries, 16 April 1853; Dublin Review, September 1851 and April 1890.]

Dictionary of National Biography, 1885-1900, Volume 49

James Roche Esq 1770–1853

The Gentlemans Magazine Volume XXXIX

At Cork in his 83rd year James Roche esq, Director of the National Bank of Ireland, President of the Cork Library Society, President of the Cork School of Design, Vice President of the Royal Cork Institution, Chairman of the Munster Provincial College Committee, and of several other local boards and committees, and for some years a frequent correspondent of our Magazine under the well known signature of JR.

Mr Roche was descended both on the paternal and maternal side from ancestors occupying for many centuries a distinguished rank amongst the territorial aristocracy of Ireland. He was born in Limerick on the 30th Dec 1770, being the third son of Stephen Roche esq, by his second wife Sarah O’Bryen.  His father was lineal descendant and representative of Maurice Roche, who when mayor of Cork in 1571 received a collar of SS from Queen Elizabeth, and who was grandson of David Roche, Lord Viscount Fermoy who died in 1492. Sarah O’Bryen his mother was daughter and coheiress of John O Bryen esq of Moyvanine and Clounties co Limerick, chief of the O’Bryens of Arran, lineal descendant of the great Brien Boroimhe, monarch of Ireland. Stephen Roche esq of Ryehill, co Galway, nephew to the deceased is the present representative of this ancient house.

Mr Roche was sent to France at the early age of fifteen and for two years pursued his studies at the College of Saintes, one of those which existed previously to the Revolution. His proficiency even during that short period in every one of the preparatory branches of learning was rapid and remarkable. The purity of his pronunciation and his idiomatic precision while conversing in French were so perfect that he was frequently mistaken for a native. Having returned to Ireland at the end of two years, he made but a short stay at home, and then revisited France, where he remained for seven years, partly devoted to his favourite pursuits the accumulation of knowledge and the culture and refinement of his taste and partly occupied in the management of business into which he was early initiated entering into partnership with his brother George who conducted an extensive wine trade at Bordeaux.

In that city he principally resided for the convenience of transacting his business and taking charge of the family property entrusted to his care yet his avocations his studies or it may be the uncontrollable and feverish excitement of the hour frequently brought him to the capital where he used to sojourn for some time and where he had the opportunity of gazing at the first gladsome and glorious scenes of the new social and political drama which France tremulous alike with the unwonted joy of an unexpected deliverance and with the apprehensions inseparable from the spectacle of a grand experiment of theoretic principles reduced to practice now prepared to exhibit to the delight the astonishment the dismay the terror and the despair of the civilised world.

In 1789, on the memorable 5th May, about a year and a half after his return to France, he partook of the general delight, and shared the fervid hopes and aspirations of those who were either onlookers or actors in that most magnificent spectacle, the assembling of the States General. From that eventful day, when the hopes of the good, the true, the enlightened, and the humane, had reached their culminating point down through the successive steps of vacillation, faithlessness, indecision, bloodshed, anarchy, to the deepest and darkest political hell. The Reign of Terror, whose sanguinary orgies reached the height, or will we say the depth, of their delirium in the spring and early summer of 1794. Mr Roche either in Paris or in Bordeaux or wheresoever his duties or his business required his presence was a spectator of that appalling world tragedy and liable like other accomplished and gifted men similarly circumstanced to become at every passing moment a conv

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=DboUAAAAQAAJ&pg=PA658&dq=john+O’bryen+of+Moyvanine+and+Clounties&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CEgQ6AEwB2oVChMIiruLzLm6xwIVJgnbCh2i4gBM#v=onepage&q=john%20O’bryen%20of%20Moyvanine%20and%20Clounties&f=false

Edmund Joseph Bellord,(1857–1927)

EDMUND JOSEPH BELLORD,(1857–1927)
Solicitor and founder and leading committee member of Providence Row Night Refuge.

Born on 30 July 1858 at 22 Long Lane, Smithfield, London, son of James Bellord (1805-1894), a merchant sea captain, and Mary Ann Roche (1819-1895). Educated at St Augustine’s, Ramsgate, and Oxford. Admitted to the Roll, 1881; partner in the firm of Lickorish and Bellord, practised at 11 Mansion House Chambers, Queen Victoria Street, 1881–93 and at various addresses thereafter, finally locating at 8 Waterloo Place, Pall Mall. A trustee of the Providence Row Night Refuge and chairman of the Refuge’s committee.

Married (1) Helen Teresa Smith, 11 May 1886, three children,

Mildred Mary (1887–1972),

Cuthbert George (1889–1950), and

Margery Mary (1891–?),

and (2) Agnes Mary Purssell, 11 January 1899, children

Charles Edmund (1900–1918),

George (1904–1963),

Robert (1908–1970),

Elizabeth Agnes M (1910–1991), and

Patricia Mary (1912–1943).

Died 17 December 1927, at 46 Ennismore Gardens, South Kensington, leaving an estate valued at £21,641.

http://www.jtrforums.com/showthread.php?t=15517

Chris,
Here’s a sneak preview of the entry from the forthcoming and very much beefed-up e-book edition of the A to Z and details of John Savage’s excellent article in that ever-a-goldmine Ripperologist


Jack the Ripper: The Final Solution claims that Bellord was a partner in the firm of Perkins and Bellord, solicitors and estate agents, and that when the tobacconist at 22 Cleveland Street needed an assistant, Walter Sickert approached ‘a lawyer who ran an East End refuge for poor working women’, who brought Mary Jane Kelly to Cleveland Street. This is apparently a reference to Bellord.

Bellord was not a partner in the firm of Perkins and Bellord, but much later his nephew, James Bellord, went into partnership with Walter Mottram Perkins as estate agents at 14 Fitzroy Street. James died on 25 March 1935, among his bequests being £200 to Providence Row.