The O’Mores of Ballina, County Kildare

The Genealogies contained in the Appendix refered to in the O’More of Laois post are titled “The O’Mores of Ballina, County Kildare and The O’Mores of Cremorgan and Raheenduff, Queens County.”

The main reasons for including the O’Mores is that Celia O’Bryen is the great, great,great, great, great, great, great, grand-daughter of Rory O’More, and Margaret Butler.

The appendix continues: Most references claim that Rory O’More the famous Confederate leader of 1641 was from Ballyna or Ballina, Kildare County.

The O’Mores of Ballina are descended from Callough, the youngest son of Rory caoch O’More, Chief of Leix, who was slain in 1545.

Callough O’More was granted Ballina in 1574.He died on the 27th March, 1618.By his wife Margaret daughter of Walter Scurlough, of Frayne, in the County Meath, he had two sons and two daughters, viz.:-

  1. Col. Rory (or Roger) O’More of Ballina, the famous Confederate leader of 1641.He died on the 16th February, 1655, leaving issue by his wife Jane, daughter of Sir Patrick Barnewall, Kt. of Turvey, two sons and four daughters, viz.:-
  • a. Col. Charles O’more, of Ballina killed at the Battle of Aughrim, Co. Galway, 12th July, 1691.He had no issue by his wife Margaret, daughter of Thomas FitzMaurice, 18th Lord Kerry and Lixnaw.He was succeeded at Ballina by his first cousin Anthony, son of his uncle, Col. Lewis O’More.
  • b. Connell O’more, died without issue, 20th November, 1653.
  • a. Anne, married Partrick Sarsfield, of Tullly, Co. Kildare, and was the mother of the famous Patrick Sarsfield, Earl of Lucan.
  • b. Elenor, married first Brian O’Kelly, of Cadamstown, County Kildare; and secondly Donnell mac Murrough Kavanaugh.
  • c. Mary, married Col. Trilough mac Henry O’Neill.
  • d. Elizabeth, married Christopher Beeling, of Killashee, County Kildare.

2.  Col. Lewis (or Lisagh) O’More, of whom presently.

3. Margaret, daughter of Callough O’More, married Thomas Plunkett, of Clonbreny, Co. Meath.

4. A daughter,daughter of Callough O’More, who married a FitzGerald of Ballagh, Co. Westmeath.

Col. Lewis O’More, of the Confederate Catholic Army, second son of Callough O’More, married Mary, daughter of Philip mac Hugh O’Reilly, by whom he had a son:-

Anthony O’More, of Ballina, first cousin and heir to Col. Rory O’More.By his wife Anne, daughter of Alexander Hope, of Mullingar, he had two sons and two daughters, viz:-
1.Lewis O’More of Ballina, of whom presently.

2.Roger O’More, who died in 1747; he married Elinor, daughter of William Wright, and had issue

  1. a. General Anthony O’More, of the Spanish Army.
  2. b. Anne, married to Robert Daly, of Caulfield.
  3. c. Mary, married Pacington Edgeworth, of Longwood.
  4. C.. Mary, married Captain Conor O’Reilly.
  5. D.. Catherine, the mother of General Manus O’Donnell, in the Austrian Service in 1772.

Lewis O’More, of Ballina, eldest son of Anthony O’More, died on the 13th February, 1737, aged 63. By his wife Alicia, daughter of Con O’Neill, he had issue, a son and a daughter, viz:-

  1. James O’More, of Ballina, of whom presently.

James O’More, of Ballina, son and heir of Lewis O’More, died on the 19th November, 1779 aged 77.By his wife Mary, daughter of Ambrose O’Madden, of Derryhoran, county Galway, he had an only daughter:-

  1. Letitia, of Ballina, who married Richard O’Ferrall.Her death took place in 1778, and her husband’s in 1790.From this couple are descended the More-O’Ferralls, now in Balina, who thus claim a direct descent from the ancient Chiefs of Leix.

Mr. E. Pyke, J.P. – Obituary 1911

from the Tablet,Page 26, 28th October 1911

The death of Mr. Edward Pyke, J.P., which we have already briefly announced, is a great loss to the town of Preston and to Catholics in the neighbourhood of Preston and Southport, at which latter place be resided. He was the head of the old firm of Joseph Pyke and Sons, corn merchants, of Preston and Liverpool. Born in 1834, Mr. Pyke was the elder son of the late Mr. Joseph Pyke, J.P. He received his education at St. Edward’s College, Liverpool, and at the close of his scholastic career joined his father’s business pursuing a commercial life with indefatigable energy and far-seeing enterprise. Although successfully engaged in business affairs, says The Preston Guardian, Mr. Pyke so completely identified himself with Preston and its welfare that no townsman enjoyed a larger measure of esteem. Mr. Pyke never entered into municipal life, which to many was a source of great regret, but in every other direction be was actively associated with religious and social work. Though of a somewhat retiring disposition, Mr. Pyke found himself occupying important offices, the whole of which he discharged with characteristic zeal, ability, and diligence. He was the doyen of the Preston borough justices, having been placed on the Commission of the Peace in September, 1869, while on August 8, 1906, he was created a county magistrate. No one discharged his magisterial duties more fearlessly or more kindly than the subject of this notice. His long and close experience of the Bench endeared him to everyone with whom he came in contact, and no firmer or more liberal friend to the police force of the town existed than Mr. Pyke. He exhibited deep concern in everything the constabulary did, and on more than one occasion has been publicly referred to as “the policeman’s friend “—a richly merited tribute. Another phase of Mr. Pyke’s busy life was his genuine regard for the little ones. He believed in saving the child, physically and morally, and the local branch of the National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children found in him a vice-chairman who took an abiding interest in the organisation and its great work. Neither creed nor party stayed his generous hand, for his life’s work was to aid all deserving movements. He was chairman of the Police Court Mission, and was connected with the Preston and Mid-Lancashire Discharged Prisoners’ Aid Society. He was at one time chairman of the Preston Burial Board, a commissioner of income-tax, a vice-president of the Royal Lancashire Agricultural Society, and on March 26, 1905, was elected a trustee of the Preston Savings Bank, and up to the time of his decease was connected with large colliery interests, being a director of two important and well-known companies in the Wigan district. Mr. Pyke was one of the original trustees of the estate of Mr. John Mercer, J. P., of Alston Hall, Grimsargh, and, along with his co-trustee, the late Mgr. Taylor, took an active interest in the famous Shire horse stud. Mr. Pyke also exhibited unflagging concern in educational matters, and at one period was a representative of the diocese of Liverpool in London in connexion with the administration of the Education Acts.  As a prominent Roman Catholic Mr. Pyke was held in the highest respect among his co-religionists throughout the County Palatine. When the Catholic Truth Conference was at Preston he took an active share in the proceedings, and all through his life was prominently identified with various committees connected with the Catholic community. A high honour was paid to him on the occasion of King Edward’s Coronation, Mr. Pyke being one of the chosen members of the deputation from the Catholic body, headed by the Duke of Norfolk, to personally congratulate his Majesty. His son, the Rev. Edward Pyke, formerly of the Church of Mount Carmel, Liverpool, is now rector of the Church of the English Martyrs, Garstang-road, of which Mr. Pyke’s late brother, the Very Rev. Canon Joseph A. Pyke, was for many years in charge. Mr. Pyke married on October 6, 1858, a sister of the Very Rev. Mgr. Carr, the death of Mrs. Pyke occurring some few years ago. Of the marriage there were four sons and three daughters. The eldest son, Mr. Joseph A. Pyke, is head of the Liverpool firm, Father Pyke is rector of the English Martyrs, Mr. Alfred Pyke farms a large area of land in Virginia (U.S.A ), and Mr. Cuthbert Pyke is in the Preston firm. After a Requiem celebrated at St. Marie’s, Southport, by the Very Rev. Father Cahill the body was conveyed to the Church of the English Martyrs, Preston, where it was received by Canon Cosgrave and Father E. Pyke and a dirge sung by the clergy of the town. Next morning a Pontifical High Mass of Requiem was sung by the Bishop of Liverpool, who was assisted at the throne by Canon Gordon and Canon Cosgrave. Mgr. Canon Carr was present in the sanctuary. The last prayers at the graveside in the cemetery were recited by the Bishop in presence of a great concourse of mourners, friends, and people. Among,t the mourners was the Lord Chancellor of Ireland (son-in-law). The service was attended by representatives of the Borough Bench, of which the deceased was the senior member, of philanthropic bodies, and commercial undertakings with which he was prominently identified. The borough magistrates included Alderman Margerison, who as Deputy Mayor represented the Corporation in the absence from town of the Mayor (Alderman Miller). R.I.P.


Page 22, 22nd December 1934


Rear-Admiral Robin Campsie Dalglish, C.B., died suddenly on Monday last, we regret to state, at his residence at Woolverstone, Ipswich, in his fifty-fifth year. Admiral Dalglish was the only surviving son of the late J. Campsie Dalglish, of Wandara, Goulburn, New South Wales, and of Mrs. Dalglish-Bellasis. He was educated at the Oratory School at Birmingham. During the Great War he served as Commander in 1915, and in 1918 was promoted Captain. In 1928-30 he was Commodore in command of Atlantic Fleet Destroyer Flotillas. He was a Naval A.D.C. to His Majesty the King in 1930-31; and in the latter year he was made Rear-Admiral. In 1932 Admiral Dalglish was lent, for two years, to the Royal Australian Navy to command H.M. Australian Squadron. The honour of the C.B. was conferred upon him in 1933.

James Campsie Dalglish, (1845–1888)

Dalglish, James Campsie (1845–1888)

from Goulburn Herald (NSW)

It is with regret that we record the sudden death of Mr. James Campsie Dalglish of Wandara, Cowper-street, which took place at the Federal Coffee Palace, Melbourne, on Sunday evening last. The deceased gentleman, accompanied by Mrs. Dalglish, Mr. J. Dalglish (brother of deceased), and Mr. A. G. de Lauret (brother-in-law), had been in Melbourne for about a fortnight, and were staying at the Federal Coffee Palace. On Sunday Mr. Dalglish appeared to be in his usual health, and about five o’clock in the evening was preparing to go out when he was seized with faintness, and said he would lie down for a few minutes, but he had but just time to stagger to his bedside when he dropped dead. The cause of death is surmised to have been heart disease; but the deceased had previously enjoyed good health, the only illness from which he suffered having been caused by injuries received about twelve years ago through a horse falling with him.

The news was received in Goulburn yesterday morning, and caused a shock of surprise, not only amongst the numerous friends and acquaintances of the deceased gentleman, but the public generally.

Mr. Dalglish was a native of New South Wales, having been born at Campsie (his father’s estate) on the Patterson River. At an early age he proceeded to Scotland, and completed his education in Glasgow, where he also learned the profession of surveyor. Prior, to leaving Scotland Mr. Dalglish was offered a lucrative appointment to remain, and was also offered a good position to go to India, but those he refused, preferring to cast in his lot with his own countryman and take his chance in his native land. He returned to the colony about twenty-four years ago, and began the practice of his profession. According to the Blue Book, he received his first appointment under the colonial government on the 6th June 1867. Mr. Dalglish and Mr. A. O. Betts (who is at present chairman of the land board at Cooma) passed their examination together, and entered the government service at the same time. From 1867 till 1872 Mr. Dalglish was surveying on the staff in this district, the coastal district, and the Lachlan district. In 1872 he was promoted a first-class surveyor, and removed to Dubbo; and in 1875 he was appointed district surveyor at that place, which position he filled with the greatest satisfaction till about the middle of 1883, when for the sake of his health and for family reasons he returned to Goulburn, where he accepted the position of first-class surveyor. Prior to leaving Dubbo, however, the department offered him the position of district surveyor at Forbes, but this appointment he declined. On his return here he frequently relieved Mr. E. Twynam, the district surveyor, and in March 1887, when Mr. Twynam was appointed acting Surveyor-general, Mr. Dalglish was appointed acting district surveyor at Goulburn. This office he held until February 1888, when he was granted six months’ leave of absence. On the 15th August, when the term of his leave expired, he resigned from the survey department, after a service of nearly twenty-one years, and his place was filled by Mr. J. L. Tritton.

Mr. Dalglish was considered a very efficient officer, in fact his name was coupled with that of Mr. Twynam as the two most efficient officers in the survey service. His administration at Dubbo and Goulburn was marked by extreme care and caution, and it is said that not a single mistake has ever been attributed to him. He had great capacity for the prompt disposal of work. Many of Mr. Dalglish’s topographical reports of the various parts of the country in which he had been surveying were considered of such an interesting and valuable nature that the attorney-general had copies of them sent to nearly all the district surveyors in the colony for perusal, in order to induce them to send in similar reports. He was very popular, not only with the public but with those over whom he had charge, and who in every case were very devoted to him. The present district surveyor, Mr. Tritton, who served under Mr. Dalglish for seven years, speaks of him as the most efficient officer in the department, and as a man whom many of his staff might look upon as a friend. Mr. Tritton says–”I owe my present position to the training received under Mr. Dalglish, and I have lost a sincere friend.”

Mr. Dalglish was married about thirteen years ago to Miss Mary de Lauret, oldest daughter of the late Mr. A. G. de Lauret of Wynella near Goulburn. He leaves a widow and six children, four sons and two daughters, the eldest, a son, about twelve years old, and the youngest about six months old. Mr. Dalglish was well connected in Scotland, and was a nephew of the late Sir Robert Torrens (of land title fame), and his cousin Mr. Dalglish was for many years representative of Glasgow in the House of Commons. Deceased was about forty-one or forty- two years of age.

Mr. Dalglish held a large interest in the Broken Hill Proprietary Mine, and it in understood he was a man of substantial wealth. He had taken passages for himself and family in the R. M. S.Ormuz to sail on the 5th April next for Europe, it being his intention to have his children educated in Glasgow or Edinburgh.

The deceased gentleman was of unostentatious and agreeable manners, and took considerable interest in local matters. He was until recently an active member of the hospital committee, and was also member of the mechanics’ institute committtee.

Arrangements were made for bringing the remains of the deceased to Goulburn by the express train this morning, for interment in the De Lauret family vault in the Roman Catholic cemetery immediately afterwards, the funeral to be strictly private.

Mrs. Dalglish has received many messages of condolence, and much sympathy is expressed for her in her bereavement.