On Tuesday, at Newsham, near Preston, was solemnized the marriage of Mr.A. C, of Cliveden, Sevenoaks, Kent, eldest son of the late Mr. J. Roche O’Bryen, M.D., Clifton, Bristol, and Miss Margaret Mary (Daisy) Smith, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Smith, of Newsham House, Lancaster. Great interest was taken in the marriage both in Preston and Lancaster, where the bride’s father, who was formerly the representative in Parliament of the North Lonsdale Division, is well known through his close connection with public affairs. There was a large assemblage of guests at St. Mary’s Church, where the ceremony took place. The bride, who was given away by her father, was attired in a gown of ivory satin duchesse, with transparent yoke and sleeves of Brussels applique, jewelled with brilliants. Her ornaments included a gold curb watch chain, a leaf-shaped brooch of family diamonds, and a pearl brooch, a gold locket, and a diamond half-hoop ring, the gifts of the bridegroom and she carried a shower bouquet of white marguerites and white orchids. She was attended by three bridesmaids-Miss Lillie Smith and Miss Hilda Smith, sisters, and Miss M. Lescher, cousin of the bridegroom. They wore pink crepe de chine, with tucked skirt, trimmed lace and insertion. The corsages had yokes of cream lace and fichus of pink chiffon, edged with silk fringe. They wore picture hats trimmed with They wore picture hats trimmed with shaded roses, gold curb bracelets set with turquoises and pearls, the gift of the bridegroom. Mrs. Smith, the bride’s mother, was gowned in black grenadine, lined with a delicate shade of green, and effectively trimmed with lace insertion and chiffon, and her bouquet was of cream roses. Her bonnet was of Tuscan straw, trimmed with purple orchids and black velvet. The bridegroom’s mother wore pale purple silk, and had a bouquet similar to that of Mrs. Smith. The best man was Mr. Joseph Pyke, of Preston, and Mr. E. G. Smith, cousin of the bride, and Mr. W. B. S. Smith, brother, were groomsmen. The ceremony was performed by the Rev. P. A. O’Bryen, B.A., brother of the bridegroom assisted by the Rev. E. L. Smith, cousin of the bride, the Very Rev. Prior Burge, 0.S.B., and the Rev. Father Kearney, rector of the church. A reception was held at Newsham House, after which Mr. and Mrs. O’Bryen started for Switzerland, where the honeymoon is to be spent. The bride’s -travelling costume consisted of Wedgwood cloth, trimmed with white silk, having a lace collar threaded with black velvet. Her hat was of pink straw, lined with chiffon and trimmed with pink roses and ribbon.
Amongst the many presents received were the following : Mr. W. Smith, framed oil painting (Wyburd).; Mr. W. Smith, grand piano, cheque ; Mrs. Smith, Crown Derby tea set ; Mr. W. B. T. Smith, five. branch cricklite lamp ; the Mayor of Lancaster and Mrs. Preston, silver and ivory fish carvers, and silver-mounted spirit decanter ; the servants, Barton Hall and Newsham House, marble timepiece ; Mr. and Mrs. Mason Hutchinson, case of salt cellars, pepperettes, and mustard, with spoons; Mr. and Mrs. Bullen, silver-mounted bread board ; Mr. and Mrs. F. Stanfield, silver salt cellars and spoons ; Judge and Mrs. Bagshawe, gold-mounted crocodile purse ; Mr. J. W. Leeming, silver and glass claret jug ; Mr. and Mrs. Richard Smith, silver candlesticks ; the Very Rev. Canon Taylor, pair of silver salt cellars; the Reform Club, Lancaster, silver and ivory candlesticks ; Mr. and Mrs. Pyke, , pair of silver candlesticks ; Mr. J. Pyke, pair of silver flower vases ; from the tenantry of the Barton estate, a handsome silver dish.
The above text was found on p.xx, 19th May 1900 in “The Tablet: The International Catholic News Weekly.” Reproduced with kind permission of the Publisher. The Tablet can be found at http://www.thetablet.co.uk .
There has been a strong Catholic presence in the district north of Preston, even during the reign of Elizabeth I, when it was a perilous matter to be a Catholic. The district, in these difficult times, was well served by having several country houses where priests stayed regularly and where faithful Catholics would meet to share the Eucharist. One of these houses was “The Hough”, whose chapel was used as a Mass centre from the latter half of the 17th century until it was demolished and Newsham House was erected. In 1896, this became the property of William Smith MP for North Lonsdale.
Earlier, in 1741, a small chapel had been built on a six acre plot of land from “The Hough” estate, purchased from the Dowager, Duchess of Norfolk. This chapel, dedicated to St. Lawrence, was described as “Small and ill made” and was replaced in 1744 by a chapel known as St. Lawrence’s Newchapel. Then in 1805 a further chapel, dedicated to St. Mary (to differentiate between the latter on Garstang Road, Barton) was constructed on the site, which served the Catholic community until 1905, when it was replaced by the present beautiful church, the gift of William Smith of Newsham House. It was consecrated on 22nd November 1906 and formally opened in January 1907.