Southall Park school

Survey of London

Southall Park, the large house lying just south of the main road and opposite North Road, was owned by Lord Jersey and between 1809 and 1824 was occupied by Dr. John Collins, who kept a school there for foreign Roman Catholic boys. (fn. 54) By 1855 Southall Park had become a private lunatic asylum, (fn. 55) which between 1861 and 1881 had an average of 18 patients. (fn. 56) The house, a ‘fine specimen of Queen Anne architecture’, (fn. 57) was destroyed by fire in 1883 killing Dr. Boyd, the superintendent, his son William, and 4 patients. (fn. 58)

Leave a Reply